Setting Goals

"The ability to convert ideas to things is the secret to outward success."
-- H W Beecher
I've taken on ANOTHER stocking job (that makes three) in order to make enough money to live indoors. That means I'm working from 5 p.m. until 1:30 a.m. every day - there are NO days off.  This schedule is messing with my circadian rhythm big time.  I find I'm tired all of the time these days and I'm constantly in  a brain fog. The brain fog is what's making it harder to get the blogs finished, not to mention preparing for the business meeting that's coming up on Thursday.

Business meeting? On top of everything else, I've partnered up with one of my bosses to get a shelf stocking business off the ground. She is experienced in the grocery business and I'm experienced with starting businesses. You'd think it would be easy then for me to get everything done even while I'm semi-asleep, but it just ain't so. Our targeted start date is November 1, 2010. That's six months from now; not much time, so I REALLY need to get myself into gear in spite of fatigue. That means setting goals.

I've read many articles about goal setting but this one, this morning, struck a chord with me. It comes from Patrice Dickey's website, Your Guide to the Life You Love. I'll let you know how the goal setting goes for me. In the meantime, perhaps you can set your own goals to achieve something marvelous.

SEVEN STEP GOAL SETTING

******************************************
1. Write down everything you've ever wanted to do, and choose one goal with which to engage in this process.

2. Ask yourself, "Where am I now? What strengths do I have? What experiences, skills, support, networks, belief systems and foundation will support me in achieving this?"

3. Write down the obstacles to the goal.

4. Write down the steps & paths to overcome the obstacles.

5. Write down WHEN you want to get there.  Create mini-deadlines. (Even though I'm the farthest from a football junkie, this made sense to me-- on a football field, every 10 yards the players get a new life -- plus they can even mess up twice in that process and get three downs). Mini-deadlines are easier to achieve.

6. Write down what rewards you expect--and bring them to life with a picture involving your five senses.

7. Ask yourself, and write down the answer: "Am I willing to do whatever it takes? Is it worth it?"

0 comments:

Post a Comment