Homemade Noodles recipe

As I've been working on my next insomnia installment, I reread my last insomnia post about simple vs complex carbohydrates. I was struck (again) by the observation that pasta is a complex carb in spite of being made from simple white flour. So, now is the perfect time to feel good about posting another recipe. It's an easy to do project that makes superb, chewy, substantial, satisfying, utterly delicious homemade noodles.

Homemade Noodles


1 egg, beaten
2 Tablespoon milk
½ teaspoon salt
flour

Combine the egg, milk and salt. Add enough flour to make a stiff dough (about 1 cup). Roll very thin on floured surface; let stand 20 minutes. Roll up loosely; slice ¼ inch wide; unroll, spread out and let dry 2 hours.

Drop into boiling soup or boiling, salted water and cook uncovered about 10 minutes. Makes 3 cups cooked noodles.

Note: I slice up my noodles into tiny 1/8" slivers with my pizza cutter. The pasta expands quite a bit as it cooks so tiny slices turn into fettuccine-size noodles. After they're sliced up, I rarely let the noodles dry for any amount of time. I simply drop the noodle slices into the boiling soup and let them cook 'til al dente. Yum!

2 comments:

Maile said...

I LOVE these noodles. I always make homemade turkey soup after Thanksgiving, just like you did, and I add these noodles. Exceptionally tasty. :-)

Edda Mome said...

It's so nice to keep a tradition alive. I think it's funny that so many of our traditions involve food. Do you do the root beer floats at dinner for Valentine's Day?

Post a Comment