Rewiring the Brain


If I had the funds to cover all my needs right now, I would be attending school at UC Berkeley getting a PhD in neurophysiology; specifically the plasticity of the brain after experiencing trauma and how people relearn after brain trauma, whether that trauma is experienced prior to or after birth.

I've always been interested in learning and in improving cognitive abilities. I was ecstatic to have children; I now had my own experimental lab rats on which to practice my theories on learning! (I know that sounds horrible, but that WAS my attitude about those precious, tiny babies.) I LOVED playing learning games with my kids. I carried them upside down around the house as we laughed. I had my tiny babies turning the lights on and off in darkened room as I exclaimed, "Wow! You turned the lights ON, and OFF, and ON.." I stuck Cheerios to their faces and was delighted with them as they groped and learned to find and eat the cereal (this was especially entertaining during church!) We played with electronic "toys". We played with Legos and Capsela blocks. I homeschooled. You get the picture.

I read everything I could find on improving a child's IQ. I read to my children. I made sure we had no TV so the kids had to either read or find some imaginative game to occupy their time. We cooked, we sewed, we gardened, the kids worked in the shop with their father. We conducted science experiments (my area of expertise), I sent them to classes at the Y, we had musical instrument lessons; I tried to make learning fun.

These kids grew up to be high-achieving, curious, delightful adults. I was thrilled to watch their growth. I felt that my methods worked well.

And then I adopted a tiny little baby with neurological problems. I thought that enough love and work would make her brain healthy. I thought the same methods that I'd used with the big kids would work with her. I was told I was wrong. I learned about Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. I learned that the experts said that these kids would always need someone to be their "external brain" because the brain damage was permanent and they would never function in a "normal" capacity. I felt emotionally devastated.

But, being an incorrigible optimist, and, as usual, refusing to believe the experts, I've kept training, and working with my youngest child. There are so many times that I've lain in bed crying as waves of helplessness have passed over me, but I refuse to believe that the brain can't rewire itself.

And occasionally I come across information that tells me I'm on the right track. I'm POSITIVE that the brain can create new neural pathways to rewire itself into health. I believe that good nutrition and repetition and techniques I haven't yet learned (or developed) can help my baby grow into an independent, successful adult. So I keep working at it.

One day I'll be able to help other parents with brain-damaged children help their kids grow up healthy. In the meantime, I just keep learning everything I can.

I guess I'm rewiring my own brain.

0 comments:

Post a Comment