Hawaiian Sweet Bread recipe

I've been working at night as a stocker at the Pearl Harbor Commissary for the last few months. Night time is the worst time for me to be working around food because everything looks and smells so good. The last few nights I've felt lured by the Hawaiian Sweet bread on the bread racks near the back room where all the items that need to be stocked are kept. I remembered this wonderful recipe that my calabash cousin gave me a few decades ago. So I pulled it out of my extensive collection of recipes -- and it's now on my to-do list for tomorrow. I hope you'll try it - it really is pretty tasty! It's not exactly like the store-bought loaves, but it's pretty close.

Hawaiian Sweet Bread

½ cup warm water
½ small grated potato
1 Tablespoon yeast
1½ teaspoons sugar
Mix, let stand 1 hour. Add 2-½ c white flour, ¼ c warm milk. Let rise 1 ½ to 2 hours.

3 eggs + 1 yolk
1 cup sugar
1 ¼ Tablespoon vanilla
1½ teaspoons lemon extract
1 stick butter, melted

Add to risen mixture.

1 Tablespoon yeast in ¼ cup warm milk
Add instantly to the rest of the batter; do not wait to rise. Mix well with hands.

Add approximately 2½ cups flour

Knead 30 minutes, keeping dough on soft side. Oil hands; pat dough smooth to cover with oil. Cover; let rise until doubled. Punch down; divide in halves. Knead each half a few times. Make 2 round loaves, place in greased round cake pans, let rise 1 hour to 1-½ hours. Brush top with egg yolk diluted with water. Bake 350° for 40 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment