With knowledge comes understanding

This morning I spoke with the public health nurse who is administering the TB medication to Mama. She suggested that Butterfly and I go to the Lanakila clinic to get TB tests - I told her I'd already had it done in Wahiawa. Now I need to get Butterfly tested.

I asked the nurse if the radiologist's decision to halt the radiation treatments was because of the possibility of infecting the staff and other patients. She said that was the most reasonable explanation. The patients undergoing radiation treatment were already immunity-depressed and would be very susceptible to contracting TB from my mother if she was contagious, even if Mama wore the required face mask. The doctors wouldn't want to expose the hospital staff to infection either. Nurse said that we'd know on Wednesday whether Mama was contagious or not. If she's not, then Nurse will contact the doctors so that the radiation treatment can begin immediately. I'm praying for a good report tomorrow.

The Nurse also explained what they were looking for on a positive TB test; a raised welt at the test site. Not red or pink color - a raised welt. Whew! I don't have a welt and the red has faded to a light pink. I think I'm in the clear.

Tonight I can sleep easy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment