Major disappointment!

I am confused.  The Surgeon's office nurse called today informing me that Surgeon elected to not participate in the medical marijuana program and that I would need to find another doctor to help me obtain the certificate.  But I was thanked for sending the information since it would help Surgeon give information to his other patients that requested medical marijuana.

I was dumbfounded.  Why would he express interest in getting knowledge about the program and then say that he wouldn't help me?  Did he read the information?  It plainly states that physicians that prescribe marijuana for their qualified patients were immune from any prosecution.  Surgeon's nurse said that I should speak with the doctor from San Francisco that comes to Hawaii once each month to prescribe.  I told the nurse that the law states that any doctor may legally prescribe.  That didn't seem to matter.

I'm not sure what is happening.  It might be that Hawaii's medical marijuana laws are pretty new and perhaps most doctors aren't familiar with them (although medical marijuana has been legal here since 2000).  There might be a lot of prejudice against the program or misinformation. Perhaps the doctors are afraid of losing their federal licenses to prescribe narcotics not realizing that the laws have changed to protect them from such prosecution. Whatever it is, it's crazy-making.

Why is it that I, who have never used any recreational drugs, never drank alcohol, never smoked anything, am the person that is desperately wanting a medical marijuana certificate so I can grow the stuff for my ill mother?  You'd think that my younger siblings, who HAVE used a variety of drugs, would be the ones to work on this.  I'm finding it beyond ironic.

I called Mama's PCP's office to ask for help.  PCP is out of the office through next week.  Tomorrow I'll call the Pulmonologist's office.  Perhaps I can get help there.  If not, I'll ask the Oncologist again on Monday.

I found a website for CannaMed, with doctors in California and Oahu, that will consult and prescribe medical marijuana for a fee of $99.  The consultation is free if you don't qualify.  There's an additional state fee of $25 for the patient and $25 for the caretaker in order to get the medical marijuana certificate.  I made an appointment for Wednesday.  Hopefully, I'll be able to get one of Mama's personal doctors to prescribe, then I'll cancel the CannaMed appointment.

I'm crossing my fingers again.

5 comments:

Maile said...

Is medical marijuana the only treatment option for advanced cancer symptoms? Is there anything that would be less of a hassle/cost for you that could produce the same results?

Edda Mome said...

Maile, check my entry on March 5 for the brochure about Cancer and Marijuana. You might find it interesting.

I want to find and obtain the best treatment for my mother's cancer - treatment that will make her as comfortable and with as few side effects as possible. If she's treated with chemotherapy she will need help to be able to eat - she's already losing weight.

I'm angry that it's so difficult to get access to a legal herbal treatment that has fewer side effects than the pharmaceutical drugs that are prescribed for pain, nausea and lack of appetite. It shouldn't be so difficult to get relatively benign treatment for seriously ill people. For crying out loud - the stuff is LEGAL for medical usage!!!!

Unknown said...

marinol. comes from the oncologist. its a pill you take rather than a weed you smoke.

Edda Mome said...

Jaide, go here to http://www.safeaccessnow.org/downloads/cancer_brochure.pdf and look up Cannabis or Marinol. Marinol is only listed for nausea and appetite stimulation, not pain.

Edda Mome said...

And besides, she's going to ingest the stuff, not smoke it!

Post a Comment