Doesn't make sense to a mere layman

I went to work again today. It was only for three hours and wasn't REALLY physically taxing but I came home tired again. I really hate being this tired all the time. I try to eat healthy (aside from the chocolate). I take vitamin supplements. I TRY to get enough sleep. I really shouldn't be this tired.

Before making it home I stopped to get a TB test. I was amazed at the verification that had to be done before they'd consent to give me the test. They wanted to be certain that the person I was exposed to was in the system. They called the Lanakila branch to get my mother's name and ID info. They wanted to know why I didn't get tested up there when I took my mother in (no testing is done on Thursday because the reading can't be done within the two day time frame due to Hawaii's budget-saving furlough Fridays AND I live over here, NOT over there.) Lots and lots of questions. I was beginning to feel like I was on display for shoplifting or some other ridiculous thing. FINALLY, everyone was all smiles and apologies for the crazy process and I got the syringe.

Here I am hours later and the spot doesn't look right. I hope I'm hallucinating and the spot isn't really red. It isn't supposed to be red or pink or anything other than regular skin tone. I'll check again in the morning - I really don't want to look at it anymore. I go back to the clinic on Wednesday.

I called Mama to see how her first day of radiation went. She was indignant. The van had picked her up at the appointed time and had taken her to the hospital. She waited for two hours before Dr. Yamashiro came down to tell her that he and Dr Druger had decided that since she was on TB meds for the next six to nine months that it wouldn't be good to give her radiation at this time. They thought it would be prudent to wait for at least six weeks.

Mama came unglued (you should see her in this state - it's really quite an amazing sight as long as you aren't the target.) She asked the doctor how he could wait that long while the cancer was rapidly spreading - did he think the cancer would wait while the TB medication did its job? She wanted the radiation right now to stop the spread as much as possible. (Yea, Mama!) He finally rescheduled the procedure for two weeks away.

I'm proud of my mother. She has always been a take charge, no nonsense woman. She is determined to fight these cancers and TB to the best of her ability and with all her heart. She has never been an "obedient" wife, employee, tenant, or now, patient. She's not an easy woman to be a daughter, friend, or (as I have heard) husband to, but she is someone to be admired.

Stubbornness is what might pull her through this uphill climb and stubbornness is what she has more than any other person I know.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, she is one to be admired.

Post a Comment