It's beginning to feel like a typical Monday

We learned today that Mama probably has thyroid cancer.  Her blood test showed extremely elevated levels of a thyroid protein that is a tumor marker. Normal would be less than 35.  Hers was over 150.  Not good.  On the up side: thyroid cancer is very slow growing.  The lung cancer is still the problem child.

The MRI of the abdomen from Friday wasn't ready yet.  Oncologist will contact Mama when he receives the test results.

The bad news is that Mama is experiencing sharp pains that last all day.  It starts in her back, radiates around to the front and up her chest making it difficult for her to breathe.  Not good. Oncologist made a note of it but that was all.

Oncologist sharply rebuked my request for help with a medical marijuana certificate.  He stated that it wasn't what was used for pain control.  I still feel that he has the bedside manner of a dead fish.  I realize that most of his patients die and that he needs to emotionally protect himself, but I AM emotionally involved and care about any pain or difficulty that my mother has.  I had some pretty uncharitable thoughts about the man.

That's okay.  We have a Wednesday appointment with CannaMed.

I called both my sisters to update them on Mama's test results.  Middle sister just wants to be kept updated.  Younger sister never answers the phone so I normally just leave a message on her answering machine. Today, as I was leaving the update, she picked up the phone listened for a moment and then hung up. I spent an hour being very upset but the more I think about it the less I care about what she might be thinking.  I'm going to continue to leave updates - she can erase them if she wants to.  I want to make certain that she knows what's going on so she will never be able to say that she didn't know what was happening with Mama.

My family's dynamics leave much to be desired.

2 comments:

Maile said...

You have a totally messed up family. Good thing you have such nice kids! ;)

Hugs, and good luck!!

Edda Mome said...

I am, indeed, fortunate to be the mother of such wonderful kids!

Post a Comment