Visit with the surgeon

Today we saw the surgeon again.  I like this guy. He has a wonderful bedside manner, treats my mother with respect, explains everything so she understands, and acts as if he really cares about her. I wish all doctors were like this man.

Oncologist hadn't talked with Surgeon yet, so I filled him in with what happened at Oncologist's office.  Surgeon reread all the notes and looked grave.  He asked me if Oncologist was looking at the possibility of two cancers.  Mama asked him if it looked bad.  This sweet guy told her that yes, her case DOES look bad. Mama just sighed. After explaining all the options that had been available and all the variables, he then told her that she probably wouldn't be a good candidate for surgery.  He also told her that if they were looking at multiple cancers then it wouldn't do any good to scope her lymph nodes.  The available options are dwindling. We'll know more after the additional MRIs this weekend. Surgeon told Mama that he was now going to sit in the backseat with us and let the other doctors make the decisions of what to do next.

I asked him about medical marijuana.  He didn't know anything about it but thought it would be a good idea for Mama later when she needs it.  I think my mother is curious about using it.  I'm glad that she has an open mind about this subject.  Surgeon asked her if she'd ever used marijuana.  She replied that she had no idea what it even looked like. He then looked at me.  I told him that he was looking at someone that had never used recreational drugs and that all my knowledge came because of my research on behalf of my mother.  He's willing to help us but doesn't know how.

So I researched for him. This site, Americans for Safe Access gave me the info that I needed.  All he has to do is call their number and ask for the paperwork for his patient to obtain a certificate for medical marijuana.  They send him the paperwork, he sits with us to explain what we can and can't do, he helps us fill it out, he collects the check for the fees (here in Hawaii it's $25 for the patient and another $25 for the caretaker), and then sends it all back in.  The office person said that it would take about a month for me to receive the official certificate but they'd immediately send me a temporary one so I could begin the growing process legally.  I have to find my own source for the seeds. It takes about 5 months from seed to bloom when I can harvest so I need to start as soon as possible.  Mama quietly told me that she might already be gone by then. I strongly willed myself to not cry.

Mama is very concerned about her younger sister.  She wants me to take Auntie to her doctors appointments.  Auntie wants me to sign the HIPAA papers so that I can be privy to her medical records and doctors. Of course I'll care for this tiny little woman that has always been so kind to me.

What am I getting myself into?

0 comments:

Post a Comment