Management Does NOT Like Change

Today was my first full day of work doing surveys. It wasn't as bad as I feared. I had more than my minimum quota for the day. Yea for me, since I'm still considered a newbie.

I was evaluated on one of my calls and was told to not be so nice because it might cause people to chat. ?????Not be so nice????? That's a first!

I discovered how to get through all the screens without having to use the mouse. I was so proud of me. I timed myself; I could get through all the screens after a typical call (an answering machine) in ten seconds when I used my new method. Regular time using the mouse was thirty seconds. I thought this was a great way to be more efficient. My neighbor watched me zip through the screens and asked how to do it, so I showed her.

I tried to show my method to the floor manager. Wrong! She was horrified and insisted I use the mouse. I asked to talk with the hiring manager since he told me there was no way to be able to get through the screens using only the keyboard. Deep breath. All managers are horrified that anyone would use a method other than the one they used.

NOT!
WTF? Isn't it a GOOD thing to be able to get through more calls? Apparently not if the method is not in their training manual. And for the record, I was never TRAINED how to do anything. I was simply set in front of a computer and told to go through the screens on one survey and just start taking live calls when I thought I was ready. My "training" lasted 13 minutes.

Sooooo, did I go back to using the mouse? NO. My scores are up. My speed is up. My success rate is up. I'm completing more surveys. They seem to be 'not noticing' my aberrant behavior. That works for me.

I'll continue 'training' anyone that asks how I do what I do, as long as it's not anyone in management.

I KNOW I have authority issues, but why in the world is something new considered so bad especially if it improves productivity? And why the heck is using the mouse so danged important? What in the world is wrong with management?

2 comments:

Eric said...

Somehow all of this seems so familiar... ;)

Edda Mome said...

Isn't it amazing how many employers are so awful?

Post a Comment