Corn Chowder and Cheese Biscuits recipes


I got my paycheck for the last two weeks: $93. That's ninety-three dollars for two weeks of work. It doesn't matter how hard I work as a stocker - it depends on how much product is delivered and the loads have been light for the last few weeks. I can't live on that small amount of money! It's not enough to pay even one utility bill!

So, I've decided to get very serious, again, about finding another job. I stopped looking for work because I THOUGHT I had upcoming jobs. It doesn't matter that I've recently been hired for two jobs. The window laminate job guy isn't calling me. I found out through the grapevine that the job has already started but he hasn't called me to work even though HE HIRED ME. We supposedly were waiting for the insurance to kick in but that was just a red herring. So, no work for me.

I was hired to work as a substitute at the high school but can't work until the district reviews my application and allows me to get fingerprinted. The district said that they are still working on LAST YEAR'S applications. Who knows when they'll get to this year's, or more specifically, to mine. So, again, no work for me.

I've gone back to Craigslist to apply for work. My new goal is to apply for at least 10 jobs each day. I started a spreadsheet to track this latest round of job applications. Today I've applied for 9 jobs so tomorrow I'll need to apply for 11.

If I don't get work this month, I'll have to give up the idea of staying in Hawaii. I can't afford to pay my rent, utilities, gas for the car, AND food,too. And with this last paycheck I can't afford utilities either.

If I can't land a job in the next two weeks, I'll start making plans to move back to Utah to live with my Second Daughter and her husband and baby. I NEVER thought I'd EVER be in this position...

This evening needed a quick dinner so I made Corn Chowder and Cheese Biscuits. They are both easy, quick, and tasty. Butterfly loves the chowder. That means it won't last long.

Corn Chowder
A delicious corn chowder with bacon.
Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
1/2 cup diced bacon
4 medium potatoes, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
¼ green pepper, chopped
2 cups water
2 (12 ounces each) cans cream-style corn
2 teaspoons salt
pepper to taste
2 cups half-and-half or light cream, scalded
Tabasco Sweet and Spicy, to taste

Preparation:
Sauté bacon until browned and crisp; add chopped potatoes, onions, carrot and green pepper. Add water, corn, and seasonings; cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in half-and-half and Tabasco; heat through but do not boil. Serves 4.

Cheddar Biscuits

INGREDIENTS
3 cups flour
¼ cup white cornmeal
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
½ cup butter, chilled and cubed
1 ½ cups buttermilk
8 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded
4 scallions, thinly sliced

PREPARATION
Preheat oven at 400°F. Place flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and butter in food processor bowl with cutting blade. Pulse the food processor until mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer mixture to large mixing bowl. Fold in buttermilk, cheese and scallions. Knead together very gently until just combined. Roll out on floured surface to about 3/4” thick and cut into 2-inch round biscuits. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown.

Makes about 40 biscuits.

0 comments:

Post a Comment