Juice Fast - Day 6

Still having trouble with feet and legs at night.  It's no longer pain (thank goodness), now it's more uncomfortable and "creepy feeling" and "twitchy".  I'm very restless for hours. I ended up on the couch with my legs raised again last night.  In spite of that, I woke up feeling pretty good this morning. My legs aren't hurting during the day. Hurrah for that!

BREAKFAST
1 large kale stalk, 2 carrots, 1 handful spinach, 1 handful rattail radish, 1 Granny Smith apple, 1 banana, 1 knob ginger.  This was not one of the better combinations.  It's drinkable but just barely. Note to self: although rattail radish makes a wonderful salad addition and is great as a snack, a handful in the blender is overkill.

Today's our excursion back into Wahiawa town.  It might end up being a little more than 6 miles since we'll be be traveling over the the hospital for Butterfly to drop off her volunteer application, and then we'll check out the work the Surfing the Nations folks are doing at renovating part of downtown.

LUNCH
A handful of spinach, a couple spears of broccoli, 4 plum tomatoes and a handful of cherry tomatoes, 1 knob of ginger.  This made an incredibly unfortunate-looking brown yucky color.  If I were squeamish I'm not sure I'd be able to drink it. It also tasted very blah.  I dressed it up with Italian seasoning, pepper, garlic powder and the ubiquitous Tabasco sauce to make it at least marginally palatable. The color is incredibly off-putting.

We hiked down to town, had Butterfly's TB test read, walked over to the hospital and spoke with the director of volunteer services.  This very nice man works with a lot of high school volunteers.  I was surprised to hear that the two local high schools have classes that require volunteer work and the schools have mandated that seniors complete a "senior project" before graduating.

Director asked Butterfly which class she was doing the volunteer work for.  She seemed confused at this question so I piped up that she had a mother that believed in the value of helping others so there she was. I'm not sure she appreciated my "help".

Butterfly starts her volunteer work tomorrow and will work on Thursdays and Fridays from 9 until 3:30. I'll walk down with her in the morning and will walk back down to pick her up.  That will make a 12 mile hike for me on Thursdays and Fridays.  I really hope it works out okay for me.

DINNER
Family ate: Oven-Fried Chicken, green beans with dill, mashed sweet potatoes, spinach salad.
I drank: 1 stalk kale, 1 wedge onion, 1/2 green pepper, 1 stalk celery, 6 plum tomatoes, 1 baby bok choy, 1 clove garlic, heavy sprinkle of black pepper, many shakes of Tabasco. This was good but I'm getting tired of the monotony of the drinks. I love just smelling food now.  I'm not going to break my fast but real food sure smells great.

I'm thinking that food is a multi-sensual experience for me.  Not only do I like eating, I like making the food, I like the way it looks, I love the smell/texture/taste.  I love reading recipes, planning meals and I like shopping for food. Therein lies the problem, I think.  The drinks are boring.  I'm going to have to actually put some study into making delicious and varied green drinks.

Okay, now I have a plan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment