A Wrinkle in My State of Mind

Auntie called today to ask me to pick up mango pickles. She is such a sweet woman. I'll see her tomorrow.

I asked her how Mama was doing. Auntie said that I should call my mother. When I reminded her that Mama told me to never call her again, Auntie said I should never mind what Mama has said to me. She said that Mama is lonesome and I should call her.

Damn!

Now I struggle with myself as I ask if I can handle more abusive words from my mother. Should I be the dutiful daughter and make another effort at reconciliation?

Probably.

I need to hypnotize myself to be immune to anything my mother can and will say.

I'm going to work. Stocking shelves requires no thinking - I can struggle with my conscience in peace.

Damn! Damn! Damn!

0 comments:

Post a Comment