No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

I'm no longer working for the Korean Cuisine Cooking Demo. Reasons given:

1. I don't speak Korean and that slows down production
2. I'm not Korean and this is a Korean foods demo
3. I don't belong to the same church as the Korean women that were hired to work
4. I take too many breaks (I've taken TWO breaks in the entire time I've been working for her. I took ONE half hour break on the day I worked 12 hours for her, and ONE half hour break on the day that I worked 10 hours for her. I took the breaks because I'd been putting in 18 hour work days during this time and I was tired.)
4. I make the owner uncomfortable because she knows that I work late at night and she feels guilty having me work long hours during the day too. (but she doesn't want me to take any kind of break while I work for her.)

I am torqued.

I have worked longer for this company than anyone else doing these demos. I have worked longer hours than anyone else doing these demos. I have worked harder than anyone else. I know more about the products than anyone else doing the demos. I've made more sales than anyone else doing these demos.

Dragon Woman owns the company, Everything Korean (if there's a real food company out there with this name, my apologies). Dragon Woman is diminutive, perhaps 4'11", slender, and has a Napoleonic complex. She is an overly aggressive saleswoman who pushes her products on customers. They consequently leave products at the cash register along with their complaints. (It's really too bad that she's this way since the products are tasty, easy to use, and inexpensive.) I've wondered if the woman has adult ADHD. She also has the charming attributes of being nasty-tempered, impatient, and insecure.

It's actually her insecurity that has done me in. I have been extremely competent and because I speak English well, I'm better able to explain her products and their cooking methods than she is. I've made sales that she's been on the verge of losing simply because she didn't understand the questions. Rather than be grateful that there's someone that can help her, she's unhappy because she seems to think it makes her look bad for anyone to know more than she does.

It doesn't help that she can't push me around like she does her Korean employees.

It's not that I am unpleasant when she is. I simply ask her questions to get a better understanding of what the problem is. That approach seems to make her angry. Apparently I'm supposed to just agree with whatever she is mad about, take the blame (for dumb things like her misplacing her purse) and move on. Being raised American, I have a difficult time taking crap from her so I just ask questions. Believe it or not, I'm very polite as I do this. It drives her crazy.

I'm finding it hard to believe that I can be too competent, too hard-working and too successful AND get punished for it.

I'm not sure what the lesson is but, because I'm not obedient and I'm too competent, I've been sacked.

0 comments:

Post a Comment