Labels and Happiness



I was raised in a family with parents that operated on the theory that calling me stupid, incompetent, and lazy would make me work harder. In retrospect, they were right about working harder but it came at a very high price. I BELIEVED them and have spent the rest of my life trying to prove to myself that they were wrong.

That's the thing with labels - we believe them. Some of us believe negative labels and just give up while others beat themselves with the labels during those dark moments that we all experience.

I remember talking with a counselor at college who advised that I stop calling myself by those labels when I talked to myself. It was the wisest advise I've ever heard.

For those raising children now - tell your children how smart and talented and kind and beautiful they are; they'll grow up believing you.

For those of us without children or whose children are grown and gone - tell YOURSELF how smart and talented and kind and beautiful you are. Instill the new labels. Use meditation, hypnosis, positive affirmations, or whatever works for you. And learn to be happy no matter what your circumstances are.

We are all wonderful, valuable human beings linked to each other. We are ALL important to one another.

Make it a joy-filled day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment