A Very Good Day

Today has been a good day. I spent the day with a friend running errands and shopping (well, my friend did all the shopping, but I got to watch.) Part of the time was spent in my all-time favorite type of store - a bookstore.

I picked up Michael Pollan's book, Food Rules: An Eater's Manual. In it I found Rule 39: Eat all the junk food you want as long as you cook it.

Wow! Now I feel so much better about my old recipes. Yes, many of them are downright unhealthy because they are cooked in oil or contain LOTS of butter or use lots of sugar ... Some of them are old family favorites from several decades ago. Some are new favorites. A few are very healthy, but there are lots of relatively less than healthy recipes. They are all made from scratch using unprocessed ingredients. They are all made with love. I know exactly what goes into them. And I don't make them ALL the time. We DO eat healthy most of the time. But those old recipes were occasionally causing me some major guilt. Since reading that quote I feel much better.

Thank you, Mr. Pollan, for giving me a day of less guilt!

Yep, it's been a very good day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment