Some Days Are Just Like That

Never go to bed the same person that you were when you woke up
(learn something, do something, be something)
This morning was just one of those days.

I took my certified copy of my college transcripts over to the school district office, thinking I'd finally completed all the hoop-jumping and would get put into the substitute teaching database. Lo and behold, my transcripts list my unmarried name ('cause I was single when I graduated) and my substitute teaching application has my legal name on it (hyphenated with old name and married name). THEREFORE I have to provide a copy of my marriage license showing the name change. I DON'T HAVE my marriage certificate here with me in Hawaii. In fact, I'm not certain where in Arizona it is. My Ex said he would look for it. If the certificate can't be located I'll have to order another copy from Utah (that's where we got married). It's just another delay in a long line of delays when it comes to substitute teaching here.

So off to the survey farm I go. I make it into the paid parking lot with ten minutes to spare for the walk over to the job. I just pull into my parking space when Lola (you DO realize I don't use real names on this blog, right?) runs up to my window in a panic exclaiming, "I locked my keys in my car and the engine's still running, and what should I do now?" I knew I was going to be late for work but it was for a good cause. I called AAA - they arrived within ten minutes. During the time I was waiting for the AAA guys to arrive, Lola ran over to the survey shop to tell them what happened and that we would be at work as soon as possible.

What?????
While she was gone, the AAA guy arrived, unlocked the door and left. Unlocking the door took a total of two minutes. Yea for quick, efficient work! Lola made it back saying that she'd told our supervisor that I'd had a minor accident and that we'd be there soon!!! What?????

Lola had gotten the phone number for work (silly me, I didn't have it in my cellphone) so I called to talk with the supervisor to explain what REALLY happened and said we'd be there as soon as we'd paid for parking and walked over. We were a half hour late. No problem.

No problem until we got to work, that is. We were taken into a back room and told that since we were late we were going to have to go home. I said that it would have been nice to know that BEFORE we paid for parking.

So. I lost $48 in wages, $10 in parking, about $5 in gas while being a good Samaritan. I sat in my car and cried.

After my cry I called my hanai Big Sister. We met for lunch (her treat - she's such a doll!) and just talked. I cheered up immensely.

So now I'm back home working on a new plan for bettering my situation. Big Sister is going to give me feedback each day so I'll keep on track.

I've got to get myself into a better financial situation. It could entail moving back to Arizona to be closer to my clinical hypnotherapy partner or possibly to the Bay Area to work from there.

I HAVE to do SOMETHING that will help me. I'm about as close to being homeless as is possible and still live indoors. This situation is downright scary.

Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Maile said...

That is just incredibly unfair! Grrr! That's a heavy price to pay for helping someone, especially when you did all the right things, calling the office and everything. Man, the universe has not been particularly kind to you lately.

I hope things start to look up from here.

Edda Mome said...

It DOES make me wonder if I'm NOT supposed to be in Hawaii. I've never had so much difficulty becoming well employed before. It's the weirdest thing I've ever experienced!

Thanks for the good wishes!

Post a Comment