Curried Zucchini Soup recipe

Yesterday was a "need to create something" type of day. I was upset about my car needing more work at the shop, frustrated about not having a "real" job that brings in a living wage, and mildly depressed by the too-many-days-of-overcast weather. So I cooked.

I started out with Spicy Zucchini Soup from Simply Recipes.  I soon realized that without the chicken or vegetable broth called for in the recipe, the soup was going to have a rather bland ending.

Looking through my rather bare cupboards, I spied a can of coconut milk. That ingredient sent my mind heading off into visions of curry. After I'd pureed the soup I wanted more "chew", so I added frozen corn and broccoli. Those additions made for a comforting soup. Butterfly even went back for seconds. Nice.


Curried Zucchini Soup

4 Tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 serrano chili (seeds, stems and ribs removed), chopped
3 cloves garlic
2 pounds chopped zucchini (skin on)
1 1/2 cups chopped day-old bread
3 cups water
1 can coconut milk
1/4 cup sake, or white wine (optional)
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
2 cups frozen corn
4 cups frozen broccoli pieces
salt to taste

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and serrano chile and saute for 4-5 minutes until the onions are translucent, but not browned. Add the garlic and zucchini and saute for another 3-4 minutes stirring often.

Add the bread, water, coconut milk, sake, liquid smoke, and soy sauce and bring to a simmer. Add salt to taste. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes.

Remove from heat. Puree in a blender or use an immersion blender until the soup is as smooth as you want it.

Return the soup to the pot. Add the curry powder, cumin and white pepper. Mix in the seasonings and adjust them to your taste.

Add the corn and broccoli. Heat through.

Serves 4-6

0 comments:

Post a Comment